ERIE-NIAGARA FUNERAL DIRECTORS ASSOCIATION has a long and distinguished
history of service to the funeral profession and to the larger community. Organized more than 100 years ago as the ERIE COUNTY UNDERTAKERS ASSOCIATION, its early membership was largely concentrated in what is now Downtown Buffalo. East Huron Street, Elk Street, Main Street, West Ferry Street, and Virginia Street are typical of the business addresses of the Officers and members of the Association at that time.
In April of 1908, Justice Charles Wheeler of the New York State Supreme Court approved a Corporate Charter for the Assocation, which continues without interruption to this day, despite a few name changes to more accurately reflect the nature of the Association as when firms located in Niagara County were invited into membership in 1938.
Funeral Service is more closely-regulated, by both State and Federal Law, than any other profession or industry. ERIE-NIAGARA functions as a representative of funeral service in treating with various governmental agencies and other groups such as HOSPICE and UPSTATE NEW YORK TRANSPLANT SERVICE. It sponsors regular educational programs to qualify funeral directors for continued licensing under New York Law, and works closely with the NEW YORK STATE
DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH agency of funeral service. All of this is designed to assure compliance with Law and to guarantee ethical standards of every funeral home.
Presently, ERIE-NIAGARA has over 100 member firms participating in its program.